Start here, or read the most recent posts below.

Beginnings

Saturday, August 19, 2017

Last Will & Testament of Joseph Lee Cochran

    State of N.C. Mecklenburg County, Sept 11th 1863. Know all men by these presents that I, J. L. Cochran, being of sound & disposing mind & memory, but in a public state of bodily health & mindful of the uncertainty of life do make publish & declare this my last will & testament hereby revoking all other wills heretofore made by me

Four of Joseph Lee Cochran's great-grandchildren. (l-r)
Aline Cochran Murphy
Ira Lee Cochran, Jr.
Jean Cochran
Trudy Cochran Coltrane
    Item first I devise & bequeath to my beloved wife Ann Margaret all my household & kitchen furniture, my mule & stock of all kinds farming utensils and all the grain & provisions which may be on hand at my decease & also my Rockaway & harness & my repeater and all the personal property of which I may be possessed or entitled to at my decease except my shot-gun & buggy and the debts due me & the money I may have on hand.

    Item 2nd I devise & bequeath to my son Robert John my shot gun.

    Item 3rd. My will is that my executor hereinafter named shall apply all the money I may have on hand and which may be due my estate & which may arise from the sale of my buggy by my executor after paying therefrom all charges against my estate to the purchase of land for the use of my wife during her widowhood and after her decease or marriage for the use of all my children equally to be divided between them share & share alike.

    Item 4th I hereby nominate & appoint my trusty friend & brother Wm. L. Cochran my executor to execute this my last will & testament & every part thereof made published signed & declared in the presence of

    A. M Iver

    James E. Andrews

    J L. Cochran

 SOURCE:  NC Wills, filed in Will Book J 177, and in state archives.

No comments:

Post a Comment